Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I've been cursed since Dan Brown...

Knowing that the IQ of the general population is not too high, I usually try to steer clear of anything that's trendy. Why? Because chances are if the masses like it, it's probably pretty lame.

But I'm weak.

Sometimes, when something has staying power I break down and check it out. More times than not I realize I should have left well enough alone. (Blair Witch Project, I'm talking to you. And you too Dan Brown.) However, there have been times that I was like 'whoa, people actually have pretty decent taste for a change." For instance, I fought off Harry Potter until it was assigned to me in a college literature class. Glad that happened. I initially thought that the Dixie Chicks were talentless hacks and succumbed to temptation by the 3rd album. Not only are they uber talented but have proven to be so right on target politically.

Well, after repeatedly being told how David Sedaris is all the rage and how is writing is so wonderful I picked up one of his books off a sale table. "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" is what I ended up with. I've read about half of it so far and my only thought is - THIS is what people consider wonderful writing? Oy vey. Maybe, just maybe this is one of his lesser works. I hopped over to Amazon to see the reviews and find out...282 reviews and it 4/5 stars. Dammit, this is supposed to be a good one.

No comments: