Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Note to music & movie industries: stop releasing rubbish and we will start buying again

According to the Washington Post, music companies are still suing people for downloading crappy music. It's funny that both the music and film industry believe that illegal filesharing & downloading are what's to blame for poor sales in each industry. If only they would realize that they have been consistenly putting out crap for the last few years, which is the real problem.

Here's an idea - why don't they offer "official" file sharing sites that offer the media in a low-quality format. They can say if you get your product anywhere else then you can be sued, but not if you get it from this official site. Then have an official pay site where you can pay for high quality products. Now, get this - if people get the freebies and decide that the media is not crap, then I suspect they will pay for a quality item - be it from a retail outlet or an online pay site. But of course, they would never do this because they don't want tangible proof that what they are releasing is crap and that they are to blame for falling profits.

In the meantime, they are still fucking themselves. For instance, here is what I do....I purchase cds used online from half.com or Amazon, rip the tracks, then resell. Guess what - the music industry is not getting any of that money from me. Now, where there is a band that I really like, for instance The Corrs, then I will go to Best Buy or another outlet and purchase a real copy, this being the only time the industry gets my money. As for movies, I hit up the rental stores when they are having those lovely 4 for $20 sales on previously viewed items. Sometimes I keep the movies, sometimes I re-sell them online. Again - movie industry not getting my money...except when I buy a film that I actually think is quality, such as District B-13 or V for Vendetta.

When movies & music get better, I'll start buying more. Until then, the music & movie industry can weep for the loss of my money.

File under: the MPAA and RIAA are idiots

No comments: