Friday, October 13, 2006

Online MBA vs. traditional school MBA, round 2

Okay, okay, I admit it…I too was a traditional school snob. So, I took my time gathering information on various online schools. I looked for reviews from others, I looked for news articles, I googled the names of the schools plus words like "scam" and "not accredited" to see if I got anything. Much to my dismay, I got no hits on those searches. I did learn about how some people were unhappy with University of Phoenix classes, as apparently, according to something I found on a message board, the postings for the class are not in real-time. I am assuming this means that messages are delayed in showing up when posted to the class, but I do not know for certain.

In deciding that I was finally fed up with the "education" I was receiving at my traditional school, I had to figure out what I wanted from an online program. I wanted to be challenged. I wanted to actually get what I was paying for; meaning I wanted to receive a quality education for my money. Yet, I did not want to spend $2000 per class. I wanted to finish as soon as possible, as I had been taking 2 classes at a time at my university and after 1.5 years was tired of making no progress. I didn't want to have to pick up any undergrad pre-reqs that I might be missing (I was an English/Journalism major for my undergrad). I wanted to be able to piggyback my classes to finish quickly. And I wanted as many of my already taken classes to transfer as a school would allow. Also, I of course wanted to make sure it would not be a useless degree from a useless hack of a school that would get me laughed out of every job interview.


Some of the online programs that I evaluated:
Regis Univ
DeVry
Univ of Phoenix
Cardean Univ / Ellis College of NYIT
American Intercontinetal
Strayer Univ
Capella Univ
Colorado State Distance MBA program
Georgia WebMBA

More info on online MBA programs here:
Distance MBA profiles on BusinessWeek.com website.

file under:

No comments: