Friday, December 19, 2008

If you are thinking about moving - Don't move to California

I recently moved to Los Angeles, California. This was a bad idea. And if you are thinking of moving to California let me warn you against it. Why so bad? Well, in case you have not heard the state of California is having money problems. They have a deficit. What do you think that means? They are trying to come up with extra money any way they can.

That means that cops are pulling people over and impounding cars without just cause. You can try to fight it but it does not matter.

My brother moved to the state in the Spring. His car was impounded for being parked on a no parking street. He took a photo of the sign on the street that showed that parking was indeed allowed. It didn't matter. He still has to pay over $400 in fines and to get his car out of the impound lot.

Right after I got here I was pulled over by a cop in Burbank. Office Maxwell, or as I like to think of him - Office Douchebag, pulled me over because I had out of state tags. He gave me a big speech about how people like me were the reason that people like him had to pay a lot for car insurance and so on. He did not want to hear the truth about how long I had been here, etc. He told me "I'm going to give you a ticket that will teach you a lesson." Whatever that is supposed to mean. He cited me for:
  • Vehicle code 12500 (a)
  • 4152.5
  • 5200(a)
You can see the list of these and their fines here.

The first one of those is a misdemeanor and is for "unlicensed driver." I am baffled as to how he could cite me with this considering he also has my drivers license number on the citation! Today I am heading to the Burbank courthouse to see if I have to go to court for this or just pay fines. The link above states that court is required for 12500 (a) so we will see.

PS - I hate you Officer Douchebag and I hope you have a crappy Christmas.

No comments: