Monday, November 13, 2006

Does the average TV viewing American get Ugly Betty?

One of my favorite new shows of the season is Ugly Betty, which of course usually means the seal of doom for a show. Last season my favorite new show was Out of Practice. Right when it started gaining word of mouth viewers and winning its timeslot, CBS pulled it for a try at that new Jenna Elfman show. It did poorly, so Out of Practice was back...until they put The New Adventures of Old Christine on. A glance at the CBS lineup will show which show survived. I still swear that people were tuning in for Out of Practice and that is how The New Adventures of Old Christine got better ratings. Notwithstanding the fact that Out of Practice was a far superior show. I think maybe the humor was a bit too intelligent for the average beer-chugging, Cheetos-munching, Nascar-lovin' American television viewer. Of course, CBS also stupidly put it on after Two & a Half Men - hello idiots at CBS, different target audiences!

Another of my favorite shows last season, Sons & Daughters, was promptly cancelled. Teachers - cancelled! And the most devastating cancellation of a show occurred prior to last season with Wonderfalls. Damn those wankers at FOX. (Thankfully it came out on DVD - but Sons & Daughters will not due to expensive music licensing issues.)

But, back to Ugly Betty. Having watched some telenovelas on Telemundo (hooray Gitanas!), I find Ugly Betty's attempts to mock telenovelas rather hysterical. It's comedy at its best. And I doubted the average American's ability to see the humor in this show. I love it + I don't think most Americans will get it = it's doomed.

Imagine my surprise to read this article crowning Ugly Betty homecoming queen. Apparently Ugly Betty is the most watched new series on U.S. television this season. I still have to wonder if most people actually get it...and is it a coincidence that this article came out after Salma Hayek and her ta-ta's made their shirtless appearance on the show?

File under:

No comments: