Monday, November 13, 2006

What happened to the progress? Gays & lesbians lose again.

I'm a bit more than disturbed to see that the UK is deporting a Ugandan woman, who faces persecution in her home country merely because of her sexual orientation. The UK was making strides in equality for gays and lesbians, yet now they are knowingly going to send this woman back to endure only god knows what because she is gay?!?

The article mentions that she will get sent back if the judge rules that it is safe for her to return to her country of origin. Surely they will not send her to a place where the country's President actually called for the arrest of all homosexuals and then modified it to wishing to go to a time when gays and lesbians were either"ignored or speared by their parents." SPEARED?!? This seems to me like the epitome of unsafe.

I cannot wait until the day I am afforded the same rights as my heterosexual counterparts.

File under:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that day is not too long from now. Once gay marriage is legal in the US on a federal level I will be satisfied. Until that day, I will feel like a second-class citizen. I want to move back to the US someday, but I can't until gay marriage is legal. Only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but did you see that South Africa is going to allow same sex marriages? It is coming...these things just take time.

admin said...

too bad the US seems to be taking baby steps